Greensea is the creator of OPENSEA, an open architecture software framework for marine robotics, and is a world leader in navigation and autonomy technology. We develop software and hardware that revolutionizes the working relationship between people and machines both on and under the sea. We are known for innovative and powerful technology designed for in-the-field success—and for the can-do attitude, hands-on approach, and proven ability to get the job done of the people behind it.
Greensea currently seeks a dynamic, top performer for a fast-paced technical environment. This position supports standard software products for remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs), and diver mobility systems, as well as research and development programs in new technology for marine robotics. The ideal candidate is excited to solve really hard problems, dedicated to ‘getting it done,’ and confident enough to work independently alongside the best of the best.
The Applied Scientist will develop varying levels of autonomous behavior for marine robots. This will range from abort-handling, path-planning, obstacle recognition and avoidance, feature-based navigation and SLAM, all the way to autonomous mission planning. This position is expected to develop new capabilities for Greensea’s open architecture framework—OPENSEA. This work will be considered applied research with near term applications. Publication of work will be considered as appropriate.
- Implement robust autonomous behaviors for vehicles.
- Maintain an understanding of the state of the art in autonomy, perception and localization.
- Develop models and state representations necessary to support autonomous behavior.
- Develop, validate, and implement metrics for evaluating autonomy performance.
- Create systems that can handle uncertainty, latency intermittency, and other non ideal sensor and control behaviors.
- Create efficient and embedded versions of the developed algorithms and behaviors.
- Develop and verify simulation environments for testing and validation of the created behaviors.
- Support proposal development.
- Present Greensea work and systems at program reviews as well as academic and industry conferences.
- Ph.D. in robotics or associated field with 2-4 years of experience (preferred) or Master’s degree in robotics or associated field with 5-10 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated history of advancing the state of the art in autonomous underwater vehicles.
- Understanding of and experience with SLAM algorithms, POMDPs, decision trees and various path planning algorithms.
- Familiarity with sensor processing, including image processing, signal processing and data filtering. (Experience processing data from underwater systems preferred).
- Working knowledge of: Linux, C++, embedded electronics, sensor interfaces.
- Experience with marine operations is preferred (ROVs, diving, surveys).
- Able to operate with minimal direction and oversight.